LCPA Announces 2022 Service Award Recipients
August 29, 2022
The Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants' (LCPA) Annual Awards honor members for their remarkable contributions to the CPA profession and the communities they serve. We recognized the following eight individuals at our Annual Convention in August.
Timothy Doody, CPA, received the Distinguished Public Service Award, the highest honor for public service leadership, impact, involvement, and innovation of a Louisiana CPA. Throughout his 40+ year career in accounting, Tim has been dedicated to advocating for the community. In 2007, he was appointed to the reconstituted Post-Katrina Levee Board. After only six months into service as its Treasurer, he was elected President, a position he held during his entire tenure. He was closely involved with the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers in the design and construction of the new flood protection work, a $14 billion project. During his Board service, he was appointed to the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority, The Association of Levee Boards of Louisiana and the Mississippi Valley Flood Control Association, testifying in Washington, DC. Tim is the Executive Director of Chaffe McCall, L.L.P. in New Orleans.
Brandon Lagarde, CPA, JD, LLM, received the Outstanding Discussion Leader Award. The prestigious award is given annually to the Louisiana discussion leader based on number of hours taught, evaluations of participants, and overall quality of courses. Brandon is a frequent speaker on a variety of tax topics, generously sharing his extensive knowledge with CPAs and other professionals to help them better navigate the complex field of tax law. He is a Director at Postlethwaite & Netterville and leads the Tax Services Group.
Paul Mastio, CPA, CGMA, was selected to receive the Outstanding CPA in Business and Industry Award for utilizing his comprehensive skills and competencies as a CPA for the effective performance of a company. Paul is CFO of Stirling Properties where he manages the overall financial operations, accounting, and tax planning, while also overseeing the accounting of more than 65 separate properties managed by the company. With his leadership over the last ten years, Stirling Properties has seen topline revenue increase significantly while merging in several commercial real estate firms and expanding into new markets. He has been described as a hyper-vigilant steward of the company's resources and thinks creatively about ways to continually invest in his people and his community.
LCPA’s Life Membership Award was presented to three members to recognize their extensive record of achievement to benefit the future of CPAs throughout Louisiana:
- William "Bill" Balhoff, CPA, CFF, CGMA, is the former Managing Director and CEO for Postlethwaite & Netterville, Bill has been instrumental in helping his firm grow into the largest Louisiana-based accounting firm. He currently serves as a Board Member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), and has served as Chair of the AICPA Board of Directors.
- Peter “Pete” Bratlie, CPA, has continuously served on various LCPA committees for every year of his 45+ years as an LCPA member. He served as a member and Chair of the Society's Insurance, Management of an Accounting (MAP), Convention, and Louisiana Tax Conference committees. On a national level, he has served on the AICPA Private Companies Practice Section and Professional Liability Insurance committees. Pete is a Senior Tax Manager with Matthews, Beaty & Company, CPAs, LLP in Shreveport.
- Emile “Mr. O” Oestriecher III, CPA, has been a leader within the profession throughout his 50+ years as a CPA. He has served as Chair of LCPA's Management of an Accounting Practice Committee, Past President of the Society's Central Louisiana Chapter, and Member at-Large on LCPA's Board of Directors. Emile’s contributions were previously recognized with the 2001 Distinguished Public Service Award. On the national level, he served on the American Institute of CPAs' Management of an Accounting Practice Committee. He is a founding member of Oestriecher & Company, CPAs, in Alexandria.
Our Women to Watch Awards honor female leaders in the profession and their work as mentors in encouraging other female leaders to excel. Jointly presented by the LCPA and the AICPA, the awards recognize women who demonstrate characteristics that have enabled them to become inspirational leaders in the profession and in their communities. These awards will be presented at the Women’s Conference, on September 30th, but we recognized the following recipients:
- Bonnie Marcantel, CPA, CCIFP, is the Women to Watch Experienced Leader. A Director in Postlethwaite & Netterville’s Accounting and Assurance Services Group, Bonnie leads the firm’s recruiting efforts on college campuses and is passionate about developing those new hires as they begin their career. She proudly serves as Chairwoman on the Our Lady of the Lake Foundation Board and is also a Founding Board Member of the Knock Knock Children's Museum in Baton Rouge.
- Caitlin Guillory, CPA, CFE, is the Women to Watch Emerging Leader. Throughout her career, Caitlin has embodied and demonstrated the characteristics we look for in a CPA and leader. Now a Director with McElroy, Quirk & Burch in Lake Charles, Caitlin volunteers as a finance committee and board member of Southwest Louisiana’s Family & Youth Counseling Agency, and successfully led the organization during a time when Lake Charles was devastated by multiple disasters.
LCPA (lcpa.org) serves more than 6,000 current and future CPAs statewide. It is the premier organization of accountants in the state.