Weathering disasters together.
As we gear up for another hurricane season, we can only hope for the best, but prepare for the worst in 2022. While many are still recovering from the devastating impact of Hurricane Ida, we need to look ahead and get ready. While the safety of your family and staff is paramount, we also understand the potential impact disasters of any type can have on filing deadlines. Our Advocacy Team will remain hard at work providing assistance as needed.
The impact of disasters is uncertain. What is certain, is our dedication to providing the necessary support and advocating for your causes.
Resources from Gerard Schreiber, CPA, the Master of Disaster
Thank you to Jerry Schreiber for providing the following resources. Keep in mind that information is current at publication and is subject to change. Practitioners should do their own due diligence, especially regarding interpretations of official source references and due dates.
Disaster Losses for Tax Year 2021 Returns – Webcast** (This webcast is for informational purposes. No CPE credit is awarded for viewing this recording originally broadcast on 1/18/22.)
- Due Dates for Returns Affected by Hurricane Ida (Schreiber, updated 1/3/22)
- List of Louisiana Parishes Due Dates by Disaster (Schreiber, updated 3/12/21)
- A Guide for CPAs to Providing Disaster Assistance (Schreiber, updated 9/6/21)
- Disaster Questions and Answers (Schreiber, updated 9/9/21)
- Worksheet Template for IRS Publication 584 (Schreiber)
- § 165 – Losses (Cornell Law School)
- § 1.165-7 Casualty Losses (Cornell Law School)
- § 301.7508A-1 Postponement of certain tax-related deadlines by reasons of a federally declared disaster or terroristic or military action (Cornell Law School)
- Quick Answers to Questions for Individual Disaster Victims (Schreiber/Chambers)
- Insurance Company Claims Numbers (Schreiber)
News & Alerts
We will continue to update you on announcements from key agencies and organizations. Unless opted out of receiving them, all News Alerts are emailed to members promptly. If you are not receiving our News Alerts or have previously opted out and want to be added to the distribution list, please email email@example.com.
- LDR 1099-NEC Waiver of Filing Requirements (1/21/22)
- LDR Hurricane Ida Tax Relief Extended to February 15 for 25 Parishes (12/23/21)
- IRS Hurricane Ida Tax Relief Extended to February 15 for Part or All of Six Qualifying States (12/22/21)
- FinCEN Provides FBAR Relief to Victims of Recent Natural Disasters (10/5/21)
- LDR Grants Extensions for Eligible Taxpayers Hurricane Ida (9/7/21)
- LDR Severance/Excise Relief; Non-Resident Emergency Services Written Requests Hurricane Ida (9/2/21)
- IRS: Tax relief now available to victims of Hurricane Ida; Oct. 15 deadline, other dates extended to Jan. 3 (9/1/21)
- SBA Stands Ready to Assist Louisiana Businesses and Residents Affected by Hurricane Ida; SBA Virtual Recovery Centers to Open Tuesday, Aug. 31 (9/1/21)
- View News Alerts archive. (Pre-Ida)
The AICPA Disaster Recovery Guide is a great resource to add to your website and share with members, even before a weather situation hits. This comprehensive guide, created in partnership with the American Red Cross, is an easy-to-read tool for members and the public, with several good checklists to follow, both before and after an unfortunate event.
Disaster Recovery Agencies and Other Online Resources
- Get a Game Plan
- Governor's Office of Homeland Security – Louisiana Emergency Preparedness Guides
- Louisiana Attorney General
- Louisiana Department of Transportation
- Louisiana Insurance Commissioner
- Louisiana Licensing Board for Contractors
- Parish Emergency Preparedness Contacts
- American Red Cross
- DisasterAssistance.gov – access to disaster help and resources
- Disaster Relief Resource Center for Tax Professionals
- Reasons Why You Might Have Been Found Ineligible by FEMA
Links to external sources can be accessed through this website for informational purposes. Such sources contain information created, published, maintained, or otherwise posted by institutions or organizations independent of LCPA. LCPA does not endorse, approve, certify, or control these external sources and does not guarantee the availability, accuracy, completeness, efficacy, and timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information. Reference therein to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, service mark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by LCPA.