|Accounting & Auditing
*The member rate applies to LCPA members, other state CPA society members, and non-CPA staff of LCPA members. To register online, use the ‘Register’ button above. To register by phone, call the LCPA Member Service Center at 800.288.5272 or 504.464.1040, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Texas CPAs: Our Texas State Board of Public Accountancy Sponsor number is #010423.
Note: Online registration for webcasts closes approximately 48 hours before the course start time. To register within that timeframe, give us a call at 800.288.5272.
As litigation becomes more complex, attorneys are relying more on accountants to serve as consulting experts or expert witnesses at trial. Serving as an expert witness is not as difficult as you might expect. Accounting experts educate lawyers and jurors on issues such as valuation, tax liability, and forensics. Learn how accountants become expert witnesses, the role they play during pre-litigation through to trial, and the techniques experts employ to avoid challenges from opposing counsel.
- Understand how to become qualified as an expert witness
- Learn skills that experts use during deposition and trial to support their conclusions
- Understand the litigation process and the role accountants play in moving a case forward through to trial
- Becoming qualified as an expert witness
- Best practices for testifying at trial
- Understanding the different roles accountants can play in litigation
- Working with attorneys to prepare and present a case at trial
- The role of experts in commercial versus personal injury litigation
- Confidentiality orders
- Compensation for expert witnesses
- Preparing for and attending depositions
- Daubert challenges to experts
- Expert reports
- The role of experts in antitrust, securities litigation, and professional liability cases
- Credibility as a witness
Designed For: Accountants seeking to understand the litigation process and accountants who already serve as expert witnesses or wish to do so
Prerequisite: Experience with individual and business clients
Note: Login instructions will be provided by the webcast vendor (Surgent).