Each year the Society of Louisiana CPAs (LCPA) offers scholarships to accounting majors in Louisiana in varying quantity and amounts depending on the number of qualifying applicants. LCPA scholarships are generously funded through private donations from our members to support accounting majors attending a Louisiana college or university who have the intention remaining in Louisiana upon graduation and pursing the CPA designation.
Scholarships are awarded in the spring to offset funding for the current or preceeding semester at a Louisiana university.
In Spring 2017, the Louisiana CPAs Education Foundation will award scholarships in these two categories:
- At least five scholarships in varying amounts ranging ranged from $500 to $2000 will be awarded to full-time, undergraduate (12 semester hours or its equivalent) enrolled in a Louisiana four-year college/university
- At least one $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a qualifying accounting major enrolled in a masters or doctoral program at a Louisiana college or university
Qualifications for LCPA Scholarships
- Scholarships are open to Student Members of the Society of Louisiana CPAs only. Membership is free to eligible students. (See if you qualify.) You will be required to enter your LCPA ID number in on the Scholarship Application. This number will be provided to you when your LCPA Membership Application is processed and approved.
- Academic achievement: 3.0 or better on a grading scale of 4.00 for accounting courses, and 2.5 overall.
- At least a fifth semester (or equivalent) student by the fall of the academic year in which the application is filed.
- The online Scholarship Application and all required materials, including essay, unofficial and official transcripts, and letters of recommendation, must be submitted on or before November 15, 2016.
- Students may apply for only one LCPA scholarship per year.
- Students who received scholarships in prior years may reapply for additional awards. However, students who previously received the Kit Smith, Alex Postlethwaite, Richard Roth, or C. Will Elliott awards are not eligible to receive one of the memorial scholarships in future years.
- No immediate family member of the Louisiana CPA Education Foundation selection committee or the LCPA Board of Directors shall be eligible to receive scholarship assistance.
- Scholarship are awarded in the spring to offset funding for the current or preceeding semester at a Louisiana university.
Supporting Our Future Louisiana CPAs
The 2017 scholarship applications open September 15, 2016 and close November 15, 2016. Award recipients will be notified in the spring. See details on applicant qualifications below.
Each of LCPA's nine geographic chapters has its own unique scholarship program. To learn about your local chapters’ individual scholarship application process, contact Ann Lupo, 800.288.5272 ext. 125, 504.904.1125, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acadiana Chapter of CPAs awards a $500 scholarship each year ($250 per semester) to a University of Lafayette accounting major.
Baton Rouge Chapter awards two Louisiana State University accounting students a $1000 scholarship each.
Central Louisiana Chapter awards a scholarship to one student at each of the following: Louisiana College, Northwestern State University, and Louisiana State University at Alexandria.
Lake Charles Chapter contributes $1,000 to McNeese State each year.
New Orleans Chapter annually awards four $250 scholarships to four different universities in the New Orleans area.
Northeast Chapter awards a $1000 scholarship to one student at each of the following: University of Louisiana at Monroe, Grambling State University and Louisiana Tech University.
Northshore Chapter awards two, $500 scholarships to Southeastern University students.
Shreveport Chapter offers up to five scholarships each year of approximately $500 to $2000 to local students.
South Central Chapter awards one $500 scholarship to a Nicholls State University student.