Seemingly every year, economic stimulus packages drastically change depreciation rules. The purpose of this course is to provide an updated in-depth analysis of the complex maze of rules dealing with depreciation, amortization, and sale of property, with an emphasis on identifying special planning opportunities and pitfalls. This course manual contains many examples and cases to illustrate key points and includes an update for the impacts of the Protecting Americans Against Tax Hikes (PATH) Act.
8:30 AM until 4:30 PM
LCPA - Training Facility
2400 Veterans Memorial Blvd
Online registration is closed.
« Go to Upcoming Event List
|Prerequisite||Basic knowledge of tax issues for property transactions|
|Designed For||CPAs in industry and public accounting who need a thorough grasp of this important area of tax law and who want to maximize the possible tax savings for their clients|
The Member rate applies to LCPA members, other state society members, and non-CPA staff of LCPA members. To register online, use the ‘Register’ button above. To register by phone, call the LCPA Member Service Center at 800.288.5272 or 504.464.1040, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Seemingly every year, economic stimulus packages drastically change depreciation rules. The purpose of this course is to provide an updated in-depth analysis of the complex maze of rules dealing with depreciation, amortization, and sale of property, with an emphasis on identifying special planning opportunities and pitfalls. This reference manual contains many examples and cases to illustrate the most important points CPAs need to be aware of. Updated for impacts of the Protecting Americans Against Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015.
- Understand which assets are subject to depreciation
- Answer advanced §179 and automobile depreciation questions
- Fully understand depreciation and MACRS cost recovery
- Detailed analysis of the two most commonly attached forms - 4562 and 4797
- Complete coverage of recent tax acts and any new legislation enacted before presentation
- What's new in depreciation means -- what does NOT show up on depreciation schedules any longer!
- What are the components for real estate depreciation
- Permanency in §179 depreciation rules? How to maximize its use; when to use it; what property qualifies?
- Sale of property and the depreciation recapture rules (§§1245, 1250, unrecaptured §1250 gain for real estate, §291 for corporations)
- Segregating a loss on a building component replacement
- How to depreciate like-kind exchange property, including luxury vehicles traded in
- New regulations on capitalization of tangible assets and procedures for automatic changes in accounting method associated with the new depreciation rules
- Understanding §197 amortization issues
- AMT depreciation adjustments and how to avoid them
- Guide for compliance and planning issues from Pre-ACRS, ACRS, and MACRS depreciation and amortization rules
- Cases and rulings of depreciation and amortization issues and how they impact clients, along with the useful planning opportunities