CPE: 8 hours
Category: Specialized Knowledge and Applications
Prerequisites: General knowledge of business structures, business ownership, business operations and finance.
Advanced prep: None
Who should attend: CPAs and other professionals who want to understand the key elements of business valuations.
Gain essential knowledge, skills and training to perform business valuations and learn how such valuations relate to gift and estate tax planning, succession planning, buy-sell agreements, mergers and acquisitions, general business planning and more. During this class you will also explore special business valuation applications, including GAAP's fair value, family law and dissolution valuations.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to identify:
- business valuation steps and reasons for their order.
- key terms related to business valuation.
- common errors made in valuing businesses and how to avoid them.
- current trends in business valuation, including how to apply the AICPA's business valuation standards to your practice.
- Purposes for which a business interest may be valued
- Define the interest to be valued: standard, premise and level of value
- Various approaches to valuing a business and when to use them
- Valuation adjustments
- GAAP fair value
- California valuation issues
- Revenue rulings, case law and standards related to business valuation