CPE: 8 hours
Category: Management Advisory Services
Advanced prep: None
Who should attend: CPAs, financial advisers, attorneys, insurance and other professionals who provide service to retirees.
Though many clients look at Social Security as a government benefit, it is actually a covered worker's investment asset to be managed like any other investment asset. We'll examine issues ranging from how Social Security benefits are calculated to benefit claiming strategies to what spouses can do now to maximize benefits at retirement. Learn how Social Security works and explore common planning situations, including workers with and without spouses; sandwich generation families with dependent parents and minor children; surviving and/or divorced spouses; and more.
- Determine how Social Security works, how benefits are calculated, who are beneficiaries and techniques to maximize your clients' benefits.
- Recognize the language and forms of the Social Security Administration.
- Recall the earnings test and other drawbacks to drawing benefits early and how to plan around them.
- Determine which planning products to use to calculate the best strategy for your clients.
- Social Security planning, benefit calculation and beneficiaries
- Increasing benefits for self-employed individuals
- Integrating retirement plan distribution strategy with Social Security claiming strategies
- Coordinating drawing Social Security benefits with the start of Medicare benefits