Early Bird Fees (through 10/13)
After 10/13, add $50 to your fee.
CPE: 8 hours
Prerequisites: Management experience in accounting, finance, or operations
Advanced prep: None
Who should attend: Owners, controllers, treasurers, financial officers, and other financial managers in organizations with less than $250 million in sales
When an organization fails, it is usually due to several factors. These problems often result from a number of undetected, poor practices that infect and grow throughout the entire organization. They can include a lack of understanding of costs, poor asset allocation, systems that support the status quo, failure to identify risk, tunnel vision by management, and so on.
Often, management will repeat poor practices across the enterprise. For example, do you think a so-called “budgeting crisis” is normally due to the budget, or actually hidden, existing problems that were uncovered due to the budgeting process?
This course demonstrates the use of practices, techniques, and analytical tools specifically designed to assist CPAs and other financial professionals in adding value to their company. These areas include:
- cost and capacity management,
- selected accounting practices,
- understanding business cycles,
- managing continuous improvements,
- cash management,
- valuation techniques,
- and risk management.
Examples of actions by both successful and failed organizations are used throughout the session.
- Identify, and correct, practices that can negatively impact an organization.
- Isolate and measure cost drivers and trends.
- Improve capital allocation processes and capacity management.
- Prepare for, and navigate an organization through the business cycle.
- Establish a process to drive continuous improvement through the use of Lean.
- Implement cash management systems and consolidate them into an organization’s plans.
- Establish the background, framework, valuation techniques, and process for managing M&A activity and capital programs.
- Identify and manage risk throughout the enterprise.
- Techniques and ideas to establish and maintain an effective organization
- Examples of successful and failed companies as a source of learning
- Discussions concerning the impact of the components of costs, capacity, and M&A activity
- Identification of broad measures that provide insights into the direction of the economy
- Practical ideas to improve forecasting
- The role of CPAs in acquisitions and divestitures
- Framework and methods to uncover and manage risk