Early Bird Fees (through 11/18/)
After 11/18/, add $50 to your fee.
CPE: 8 hours
Category: Accounting & Auditing
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of fraud and related investigations
Advanced prep: None
Who should attend: CPAs, forensic accountants, fraud examiners, individuals in the banking and financial services industry, attorneys, law enforcement, and other interested individuals
Protect yourself and your clients from identity theft, which includes the theft of personal and professional identities. No one is immune from this rising tide of criminal misconduct and as your clients seek your advice, you will be required to perform due diligence in protecting their IDs. Some will even be tasked with investigating the crime. This course addresses the needs of each. As the instances of identity theft continue, people are clamoring for ways to detect identity theft, protect themselves from becoming a victim, and investigating instances of theft when they strike. Don’t allow you or your client to become the next victim!
- Identify the various means used to commit identity theft and how thieves obtain the information necessary to commit these crimes.
- Describe how to protect personal and professional identities from identity theft. Explain how to investigate a case of identity theft, and the steps involved in such investigation.
- Outline keys to success when teaching clients how to implement policies and procedures to protect their identities.
- Identity theft statistics
- Types of identity theft
- Obtaining the victim’s information
- Tools used in identity theft investigations
- Finding identifying information on the Internet
- Investigating identity theft
- Detecting and preventing identity theft