Early Bird Fees (through 7/22)
After 7/22/15, add $50 to your fee.
CPE: 8 hours
Prerequisites: Basic understanding of estate and gift taxation.
Advanced prep: None
The course will focus on the interplay between federal rules as applied to a typical Louisiana resident subject to state community property law, and will explore various inter vivos and post-death planning strategies to reduce the effect of transfer taxes.
To review various planning strategies aimed at Louisiana residents with modest and taxable estates.
• Explanation of the current estate and gift tax rules
• How to make the portability election for any decedent
• How to increase tax basis
• Planning opportunities using private annuities and trusts
• Using the marital deduction: trust v. usufruct
• Planning for qualified plans and IRAs
• Using life insurance trusts
• Use of fixed value donations to reduce the gross estate
• Proper use of family limited partnerships
• Using dynasty and grantor trusts
• Post-death disclaimers
• Planning around forced heirship and claims of creditors
• Post-mortem elections
• Medicaid planning considerations