Social Security and Medicare: Maximizing Retirement Benefits
Our Social Security system provides retirement, disability,
and survivor benefits to millions of Americans. The long-term future of Social
Security and Medicare is uncertain, triggering concerns for many workers who
are now paying into the system. Attend this course to learn what matters, cover
real-world situations and use the tools provided to advise your clients to make
optimal decisions when it comes to Social Security and Medicare.
Topics Discussed • What Medicare will and will not do
• Managing Medicare gaps
• Analyzing the wide menu of Social Security benefits
• Social Security benefits for workers and families:
retirement, survivor, disability, and death benefit
• Tax impact of social security premiums and benefits
• Impact of the new 3.8% Medicare surtax on investment income
When you complete this course you will be able to:
• Describe the role of the Social Security Administration and
how FICA applies to the funding of Social Security, and Medicare benefits.
• Identify the benefit eligibility issues.
• Determine Social Security benefits and the implications
retirement age has on those benefits.
• Identify what types of Social Security survivor benefits
• Describe the disability income benefits and the multiple
factors that can impact those benefits.
• Identify coverages and costs associated with Medicare and
what it does not cover.
Requisite Knowledge: Basic knowledge of Social Security and Medicare
Speaker: Neil Brown, CPA, CFP
Field of Study: Taxes
CPE Credits: 4
Yellow Book: No